Let’s Talk About Hydration!
We all know that water is essential to us, but what else makes it so important? Water makes up about 60% of our bodies. Staying hydrated maintains our body’s fluid balance, which is essential for our bodily functions. There are so many different benefits that come from drinking water! Let’s focus on these 8 important benefits
#1 Lubricates the Joints - Cartilage, found in the joints and discs of the spine, contains around 80% water. Long-term dehydration can reduce the joints shock absorbing quality, which can lead to joint pain. Therefore, keeping your body hydrated can prevent future joint pain and will keep your joints moving easily.
#2 The Digestive System Depends on It - Drinking enough water can help relieve constipation! Water flushes the body waste and is needed in the processes of sweating, urinating and bowel movement. If you are feeling bloated or backed up, try upping your water intake and eating fruits and veggies that are filled with water. This should get things moving!
#3 Can Help With Weight Loss - If you’re trying to lose weight, drinking enough water can boost your metabolic rate. Studies have shown that drinking half a liter has shown to increase metabolism by 23-30% for up to 1.5 hours. On top of the boost of metabolism, drinking a glass of water before a meal can help you feel more full and stop you from overeating.
#4 Can Help Prevent & Treat Headaches - Dehydration can trigger headaches and migraines in some individuals. Many studies have shown that water can relieve headaches in those who are dehydrated. It may not make your headache completely go away, but it can reduce the intensity and duration of it. If you suffer from daily headaches, try drinking more water throughout the day and see if it makes a difference!
#5 Staying Hydrated Has a Major Effect on Energy Levels & Brain Function - Our brains are strongly influenced by hydration status . Mild dehydration can impair energy levels and mood, and lead to major reductions in memory and brain performance. Plants need water to grow and flourish, right? So do we!
#6 Boosts Skin Health - With dehydration, skin can become more vulnerable to skin disorders and wrinkling. When your skin is dehydrated, it will look dull and dry and could possibly even feel itchy.
Keeping the skin hydrated from the inside out with water can prevent wrinkles and signs of premature aging.
#7 Water Can Help to Maximize Physical Performance - Staying hydrated during intense exercise or high heat is crucial. Losing as little as 2% of your body’s water content can lead to reduced motivation, increased fatigue, and can make the exercise feel much more difficult. Optimal hydration can prevent this from happening, so always make sure to hydrate before a workout, during a workout, and especially after a workout. It is essential to replenish and replace the water we lose during exercise.
#8 Water Delivers Oxygen Throughout the Body - Our blood is more than 90% water. Blood carries oxygen along with nutrients to different parts of the body, therefore it is essential that we continue replenishing our bodies.
Now that we know some of the benefits that c0me from staying hydrated, let’s dive into some tips to HELP you stay hydrated!
- Buy a cool or cute water bottle! It will motivate you to drink. Hydroflasks are super popular right now! They come in so many different colors, designs, and sizes that you will be sure to find one that you like. They are insulated and will keep your water nice and cold.
- Drink from a straw! Some water bottles come in straw form. This actually makes you drink more in one sitting, because you don’t realize how much you are drinking through the straw or how quickly you are drinking it.
- Get in the habit of carrying your water bottle around at all times. With fashionable, reusable water bottles, this is easy!
- Drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up in the morning. Start your day feeling refreshed and hydrated. Water should always be the first thing you put into your body each morning!
- Eat foods like watermelon, cucumber, or celery, which hold a lot of water. Hydration doesn’t only come from just drinking water, we can eat it too!
- If plain old water starts tasting too boring for you...add some fresh citrus! Or infuse it with other flavors to your liking. Try herbal teas, this is a great way to get your recommended amount of water each day. I like to start my days with a cup of hot tea and end it with another cup before bed!
See...staying hydrated can be so easy! Hopefully this post encourages everyone to up their water intake and keep their body’s hydrated. Aim for AT LEAST 8 cups of water a day!
Leech, J. (2017, June 4). 7 Science-Based Health Benefits of Drinking Enough Water. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-health-benefits-of-water
McIntosh, J. (2018, July 16). 15 Benefits of Drinking Water and Other Water Facts. Retrieved from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/290814
Schwecherl, L. (2019, August 21). Why You Should Drink More Water. Retrieved from https://greatist.com/health/reasons-to-drink-water